Listen to our podcast

10 August 2006

Evangelical Connections

Last Tuesday, I went to a prayer meeting for Christian leaders from different evangelical churches. As we prayed for the different ministries of those who attended that they would be fruitful, God gave me an encouraging word from
Isaiah 55, For as the rain cometh down, and the snow from heaven, and returneth not thither, but watereth the earth, and maketh it bring forth and bud, that it may give seed to the sower, and bread to the eater: So shall my word be that goeth forth out of my mouth: it shall not return unto me void, but it shall accomplish that which I please, and it shall prosper [in the thing] whereto I sent it.
Like rain the word is sent from heaven and falls down on different locations, it trickles down from the high places and off of the rocky ground into the soft soil, that is where fruit comes from. Many will hear the Word, it will roll off the hard hearted and it will soak into the soft hearted. ---------
After the prayer meeting, Vadim, the leader of the Evangelical alliance, invited me to visit him in the city of Ogre to talk about how churches can work together. ----------
Saturday, we found a shuttle to Ogre to meet Vadim at a local outreach he organised. A group of Christians from different churches were reading the whole New Testament through a loudspeaker in the public square all weekend. Vadim and his wife invited us to their offices and we talked about our common desire to see churches planted in Latvia. He isn't able to help with official invitations by the Evangelical alliance but he introduced me to another pastor who had some information about other documents needed for missionaries from the States. I will be meeting with Vadim again tommorow.
----------
Another day I took a 3 hour bus trip to Liepia on the west coast to meet and encourage a Russian pastor who has hosted a couple of CC mission teams, we had a good talk about the need to be filled with the Holy Spirit for ministry. He was excited that the Lord was calling us here and he said that Latvia really needs Calvary Chapels to be planted. While we were having tea at his house, he called another brother named Vitalii Andreic on the phone who is organizing a course called CP21 "Church planting for the 21 century" and recommended we meet. --------- So the next day, back in Riga, Lena and I had his family over for tea, I shared how we planted churches in Ukraine and he shared about their plan to equip new pastors to plant churches in the outer regions of Latvia surrounding Rigas Region. It turned out he still needed a teacher for the topic of evangelism. I said, "that's my favorite subject", so he asked me if I would teach it. It would require traveling 1 to 4 hours from Riga to Liepia (west), Jelgava (South), Daugavspils (South-East) and Valka (North-East). I said, I am very interested. So he is wating to hear back from me about when we will be returning, so he could schedule a month for me to teach.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment! First they will be sent to our email, then we will publish them if appropriate. Thanks!