Listen to our podcast

29 March 2008

That's what I meant to say

Have you ever said something and wished you had put it another way almost immediately after you said it? And as you reflect, you can envision a lot better way you could have delivered it then you did. This is how I usually feel after I teach the Bible, especially after my Resurrection day message. As I reflect on the gospel message I gave last Sunday (see previous post about Easter) and evaluate how to better communicate the pure gospel of our risen Lord in biblical way, I think I would have done some things different if I had the chance to do it again. I would not and could not change the message of the gospel, and I am confident in God's leading to make 1 Corinthians 15 my main scripture, but I know my delivery of it could have been more succinct and to the point. If I had not had 6 pages full of proof text for each point I would not have needed to abandon my notes to just speak point to point from heart as the Holy Spirit reminded me of key verses. Soon after envisioned a more expositional (verse by verse) message from 1 Corinthians 15:1-10.


Here was the outline I used to share the gospel last Sunday.

I. THE FACTS OF THE GOSPEL (1 Corinthians 15:1-8) What did Jesus do?
  • Christ lived a perfect life (Hebrews 4:15)
  • He died for our sin (John 19:34)
  • He was buried (Matthew 12:39-40)
  • He was raised (Luke 24:34, Acts 1:3)
  • He appeared (1John 1:1-3, 2Peter 1:16)
  • He ascended to Heaven (John 16:10)
  • He sent witnesses to the world (Mark 16:15)
  • He will come again to judge the world (Acts 10:38-43. )

II. THE MEANING OF THE GOSPEL (1 Corinthians 15:17-19) Only the risen Christ can save from sin.

Why did Jesus die for our sins?
  • God loves His creation but men loved darkness (John 3:16-20, Romans 5:8)
  • God is holy gave us the ten commandments (Exodus 20:3-17)
  • All have sinned and fall short of the glory of God (Romans 3:23)
  • We cannot justify ourselves under the law (Romans 3:19-20, James 2:10-11)
  • The law leads us to Christ that we might be justified by faith. (Galatians 3:24)
  • Only one thing can take away our sin is the blood of the Lamb. (John 1:29, Hebrews 9:22)

III. THE RESPONSE TO THE GOSPEL (1 Corinthians 15:56-58) Who will have victory?

  • A summary (Acts 17:30-31)
  • There will be a judgment (Hebrews 9:27)

Where will you go after you die? (Luke 16:19-31)
  • Those who are Christ's enemies - Hell (Mark 9:43-48)
  • Those who are Christ's and He is your Lord - Heaven (Revelation 21:3-4)
What must you do to be saved? Repent and Believe (Mark 1:14-15)
  • Repent (Luke 13:3-5, Acts 17:30, Revelation 3:19-21)
  • Recieve Jesus as Savior and Lord (John 1:12, Phil 2:10)
  • Call upon the Lord in truth (Romans 10:9-16, Luke 6:46-47)
Final appeal:
  • Be saved from this perverse generation (Acts 2:40)
  • Be reconciled to God (2Corinthians 5:20)

Alter call
  • Since you have heard the gospel, Is the Father drawing you to His Son for eternal life? (John 6:44)
  • Are you willing to turn from darkness to light (Acts 26:18)
  • Jesus died for YOU, are you ready to live a life of faith? (Gal 2:20)
  • Present your bodies to God (Romans 12:1)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment! First they will be sent to our email, then we will publish them if appropriate. Thanks!